Styling Yoko's Bangs (Day 653)

I randomly had the urge to try and re-style the bangs of my Yoko wig today. I'm not sure if you could call this a tutorial or what. It is what it is, but I hope it's helpful in some way.

The wig that I have is not heat-resistant, so using a straightener or curler to get the fluff and roundness into the bangs is out of the question. I used this method on another wig and it worked perfectly. It was slightly less perfect on this wig, but I still got a desirable effect.

Tools:
wig
wig head
wig pins (to hold the wig onto the head, I used 5)
brush
comb (optional)
bobby pins
hair Spray (I recommend Suave with a hold of at least 7)
hair drier with "cold" setting (optional)

(In the photo, the loose hair on the sides is bobby pinned together just to keep it out of the way, and because I was doing other style earlier.)






Make sure the wig is securely pinned to the wig head. I used 5 pins, but I was also re-doing the ponytail earlier, so I needed extra. Two or even one would probably be fine, but I suggest at least 3 to be on the safe side; two on the top (one on each side) and one in the back at the bottom.

Gather the bangs together, and bobby pin them back onto the top of the head. Make sure as much of the "roots" of the wig are showing as possible, and try to keep the bangs evenly spread out, don't squish them together in a tight bunch. I suggest pinning the middle of the bangs, but the bobby pin placement doesn't affect the end result, so put them wherever works best for you. I used two bobby pins to hold them in place, one from each side.


Put hairspray on the bangs. Pay special attention to around the roots, and only spray lightly on the ends. Let this dry for about 15 minutes. If you would like, use a hair drier on the cold setting to make this go by faster.







When you take the bobby pins out, the bangs should more or less stay where they are. If they don't, most likely, the hair spray hasn't dried yet, pin them back where they were.






Brush the bangs forward. Be as gentle as you can, but they should take some persuading to move forward. Don't brush them downward.







Put the brush on the underside of the bangs use it to pull the bangs forwards and slightly down with a twisting motion. The bangs should stay extra fluffy. If you pull them down too much, put the brush underneath and brush straight upward, they should go back to looking like the step above.

Repeat this step until no more hairs stick upward.

You can now lightly brush on top of the bangs to smooth them out. I suggest the comb for this step, as it lets you have more control.

If the bangs are really thick and heavy, separate the top layer and pin it back on its own, and repeat the previous steps on just those layers.

When you're finished, spray a light layer of hairspray over the bangs and let it dry.




After this, I used the comb to create a side part in the bangs specifically for Yoko. While doing any additional styling with the bangs, every now and then, comb the bangs upward to be sure they keep their volume.

Here's my result:


(Note:The first picture was taken in the mirror, the part is actually on the left.) The volume and shape are much more visible from the side than the front. I'm happy with the styling as it looks quite natural and subtle, but it's nowhere near as flat as it was in the beginning picture.

I checked in on the wig after a couple of days, and the styling held up well. The bangs could still be fluffier, but that was a fault of my original styling, I don't think they deflated or anything. They seemed to have about the same amount of volume as they did right after I styled them. I believe this method of styling would hold up through a typical convention day.

No comments:

Post a Comment